Print

> 1.  I have found that the best way to change attitudes is by being willing
> to be changed.  It's a dance - holding on to one's values, have opinions
> questioned, and possibly finding them wrong.

Well and succinctly put. In thinking through the dynamics of dialogue, I
find that certain aphorisms repeatedly come to mind--especially the biblical
proverb "A soft answer turns away anger." It's so gratifying to watch this
happen in real life: to see defensive attitudes soften when approached by
someone with an open heart and mind.

>2.  If we think we can't argue with a brick wall, we could very well be
>that brick wall if we are not careful.

Indeed. This makes me wonder about the value of written dialogue--by email
or letter. The time required by the writing process (assuming we're not just
shooting off angry emails) lends itself to the sort of care and
introspection to which Brad alludes.

John Backman
The Dialogue Venture
www.dialogueventure.com

---

NCDD's discussion and announcement lists are generously provided by L-Soft ( www.lsoft.com ) and are powered by L-Soft's LISTSERV mailing list management software ( www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html ).  Learn more about NCDD's email lists in the community section of the NCDD website ( www.thataway.org/community/lists/ ).  Please read this mailing list's rules ( www.thataway.org/community/listrules ) before you post.