Re: Support for Public Engagement is...

Tom Atlee <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Nov 2013 10:16:05 -0800

How do we generate "support for public engagement"?  I see possibilities for creating it "out of whole cloth"...

For starters, I see a dynamic tension among certain variables that are important to me (from my "empowered public wisdom" perspective).

*  level of participation - how many people are involved?
*  quality of conversation - do people feel heard and respected?
*  diversity/legitimacy - does the conversation actually represent "the public"?
*  quality of resulting understandings or decisions - are they wise?
*  impact - does it make a difference?

Addressing each one of these factors well requires a level of investment - attention, time, money, organizing, etc. - that makes it hard for any one person or group to maximize all of them at once.  Different D&D methods, practitioners, and initiatives deal with the trade-offs in different ways.  Quite often some of these factors are simply ignored or abandoned, in order to focus on others.

I would like to see more inquiry about how to optimize them all by creative innovation and whole-system approaches.

One approach to doing this in public conversations is to combine a well-publicized, high-quality, well-resourced conversation among a small representative sample of "the public" with more widespread but less resource-intensive conversations both in person and online.  There are many ways to do this.

The most impressive example I know is what Canada's leading newsweekly, Maclean's, did in mid-1991, in collaboration with Canadian TV and Roger Fisher of the Harvard Negotiation Project.  They convened a dozen articulate Canadians chosen by their polling firm to embody the major segments of Canada's diverse (and at that time relatively embattled) demographics and political views for three days of conversation facilitated by Fisher (co-author of "Getting to Yes") and two assistants from Harvard.

The process and results were remarkable.  The meeting went through the stages frequently observed in productive - especially transformational or "emergent" - dialogue and deliberation when enough time is provided for deep hearing, feeling and thinking:
*  initial divergence into "the groan zone" of maximum intense disagreement, followed by
*  an emotional and relational breakthrough, followed by
*  whole-group co-creativity
- all filmed by CTV for an hour-long documentary released the same week as Maclean's 40 pages of coverage in a special "The People's Verdict" issue.

Key to Maclean's coverage - and almost unique in the annals of public D&D, as far as I know - were half-page bios of each of the participants (with photo portrait), combined with a blow-by-blow account of the conversation, combined with the group's complete (4 page) agreement with their signatures published at the bottom.  This media coverage engaged millions of readers in a vicarious personal experience of the whole conversation.  Simply by reading, they picked out the folks they liked and the people they despised and then tracked how they - and their ideas and emotions - interacted through major upsets to an amazingly creative resolution.  All this was fully illustrated by photos throughout - including clear conflict body language followed by pictures of hugs at the end - which was well augmented by the hour-long Canadian TV show depicting highlights of the entire process.  (Other articles in Maclean's coverage included info about and from the facilitators, how the participants were chosen, and lots of background and context for the process and the history of the issues discussed. Totally amazing.)

So here we have (or had) a conversation-of-the-whole embodied in three modes:
(a) the well-resourced conversation among 12 people chosen for their representative differences and
(b) the well-designed vicarious engagement of the entire country in that conversation, using major media.
Those two modes were an unexpected catalyst for what happened next (which I found out by hiring an investigative reporter who interviewed major players in the initiative 9 years later):
(c) many months (6 months to more than a year, depending on the interviewee) of spontaneous conversations cropping up in communities, schools, churches, NGOs, and media all over the country to discuss what had happened in the Maclean's conversation and what should be done about it and its conclusions.  As politicians got drawn into that conversation, it became obvious that they weren't in charge and they balked and did what they could to throw oil on the water.  Notably the prime minister felt he was "hammered" by certain questions and accused Canadian Broadcasting Corporation of bias.  In due time 1991's spontaneous (though well-catalyzed) outburst of D&D all over Canada petered out and business-as-usual returned.  (Who knows:  Maybe that laid foundations for the many creative D&D activities now underway in Canada, including a number of truly remarkable innovations like Citizens Assemblies...)

This led to my belief that the one glaring shortcoming of Maclean's effort was that they saw it more as a conflict resolution focus group experiment than as a democratic innovation.  I can't help wondering what would have happened if they had repeated the exercise the next year.  And the year after that.  And the year after that.  I don't think the political establishment could have successfully resisted the escalating national conversation in the presence of that kind of persistent rekindling of the fire.  But we need to leap out of a number of mental and societal boxes to realize the implications of this for democracy, the dynamics through which it did its magic, and the path forward to use those insights to make real progress.

You can examine all Maclean's July 1 "The People's Verdict" issue in detail at
http://www.co-intelligence.org/S-Canadaadvrsariesdream.html
where pdfs of each of the articles are posted (as well as a link to my summary of it in the Tao of Democracy).  I also have the taped interviews with some of the players (from 2000) but am only now getting around to having them transcribed and made into mp3s that I can post online for research and inspiration.

That Maclean's initiative happened 22 years ago.  It was and is brilliantly conceived.  At the same time, developments the web, social networks, grassroots media, online D&D methodologies, and much else have created an even richer context for experimentation along the lines pioneered by Maclean's.

So my question for us D&Ders is this:  How could an alliance between D&D folks, computer geeks, journalists, and other media people create generative public engagements that are as high quality as well facilitated multi-day small group conversations, as participatory as whole-community Study Circle programs and crowdsourcing websites, as wise as the best of our NGOs and spiritual leaders, and as influential as well paid lobbyists?  And, we might add, as traditional and expected as elections, upon which all this would have profound impact?

That question - which I believe opens up a vibrant ecosystem of possible and interrelated answers - could transform democracy in radically healthy ways if we pursued it seriously with doors, ladders, and gaping holes in the walls we've built around our various D&D methodologies and ideologies.  It seems to me it would make the question of "support for public engagement" as moot as the question of "support for the Internet" - because it would become an inextricable part of our cultures.

Blessings on the Journey we're all on together, and on all the turns in the road...

Tom Atlee
Co-Intelligence Institute
Eugene, OR

PS:  I can imagine the Omidyar Foundation trying some experiments with this, given their interest in both deliberative democracy and innovative independent journalism.  Pierre Omidyar's new journalistic initiative (whose spirit is epitomized by their hiring of Glenn Greenwald - the main reporter involved with Edward Snowden's NSA revelations - from the UK Guardian) could easily become the ongoing journalistic catalyst of deliberative participatory democracy that Maclean's pioneered but then abandoned.  Such a breakthrough would open the door to everything that the NCDD-born National Dialogue Network envisions, plus new work for practically every NCDDer.  The new question would be "how do we keep hanging on to this racing tiger?!!!"

On Nov 6, 2013, at 7:21 AM, Terry Steichen wrote:

> Roger,
>
> I quite agree with you.  As Lucas Cioffi so eloquently stated two months back on this list,  the driving factor is that people feel that their voice isn't being heard.  So they naturally start exploring various forms of deliberation (seeking a way of expressing that voice).
>
> But, IMHO, a representative democracy is the only practical mechanism for democratically governing a large nation.  Thus, for us to have our voice heard, we must express that voice through the vote.  Then, and only then, will our political representatives start paying more attention to "We, the People."
>
> As I see it, the challenge for the NCDD-related) community, is to help the public to find it's collective voice, and to help them express that voice through their vote.  That's the way that representative democracy starts acting like direct democracy.
>
> Terry
> TopicCentral.com
>

> On 11/06/2013 07:46 AM, Roger Bernier wrote:
>> Steve,
>>
>> Thanks for weighing in.
>>
>> I favor a strengthening of our representative form of democracy not a change to a direct form of democracy.
>>
>> I believe the low level of public interest in participation is not because the interest and desire are not present but because the means to participate in a meaningful way are limited and not productive. I have seen too many enthusiastic participants in our public engagement sessions not to believe citizens can have a genuine interest in participation if it could be made meaningful.
>>
>> Roger Bernier
>>
>> In a message dated 11/5/2013 10:54:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
> [...]

---

NCDD's discussion and announcement lists are generously donated by L-Soft ( www.lsoft.com ) and are powered by L-Soft's LISTSERV mailing list management software ( www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html ).  Learn more about all of NCDD's email lists at www.ncdd.org/rc/item/4434 -- and please read over the NCDD Discussion list's ground rules at www.ncdd.org/rc/item/2624 before you post.