NCDD-DISCUSSION  August 2012, Week 1

NCDD-DISCUSSION August 2012, Week 1

Re: An Integral Framework for Civic Infrastructure (?)

Lisa Beutler <[log in to unmask]>

Lisa Beutler <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Aug 2012 08:22:41 -0700

Bruce,

My work sounds similar to yours (I spend most of my time working on water issues) and I have liked introducing Barry Johnson's concepts on polarities into my group work. The concept of "one" does work at system scale, but within systems is always a dynamic tension and a series of events that can push the norm one direction or another.  In theory, optimizing one part of a system will always sub-optimize another part.

So we are looking at two issues - the extent to which we can agree on what optimizing or a promising result might be, and the degree of intervention we are willing or capable of making to alter a system.

These questions may seem easy, for example in water some simple answers are - don't pollute, don't live in flood plains, don't live in places where you can't get water - but these seemly simple answers live at the center of the water wars, and particularly in the context of climate change.  Are we willing to sub-optimize a part of a system for some other good?

Relating to the societal discussion on this thread, we have historically tended to an out-of-balance system where large parts of the system are sub-optimized.  This has been sustainable as long as the system had capacity to tolerate the imbalance OR there is no willingness or capacity to alter a system.  Ultimately it is not sustainable at the point the imbalance destroys the system, which can be readily seen in natural systems and political systems.

With this orientation, Kenoli's observations about the source of change is pretty spot on.  We are asking the current system to change the optimization structure.

At the societal level I observe death throes in parts of the system.  These are parts of the system that are dying and it is fighting back, even if it means death, since death is what it is facing.  Understanding this has allowed me to work with compassion even as it is terrifying since this battle will always have collateral damage.

Thanks to everyone that has been engaged in this thread.

Lisa B.