NCDD-DISCUSSION  March 2008, Week 4

NCDD-DISCUSSION March 2008, Week 4

Re: let's get real about racism--discuss it and end it!

"saundra.boyd" <[log in to unmask]>

saundra.boyd

Sun, 23 Mar 2008 23:09:52 -0500

"None of us will be free until all of us are free."  I think Sojourner Truth said it, and nothing could be truer.

Why cannot WE promote the national dialogue on racism?

I'm getting the impression many people are not aware that there is a lot of work being done toward healing racism.  Google.com and Goodsearch.com will give you thousands of hits on the subject of "Healing racism."  Include your city, town, county, state in your query.

Find the organizations in your area.  List their emails and addresses (and apply for a grant to buy stamps!)

TRAIN WITH A CO-FACILITATOR OF A DIFFERENT ETHNICITY TO CONDUCT THE DIALOGUE: Invite a healing racism facilitator to join you in volunteering to facilitate the dialogue.  I highly recommend a co-facilitating team of different ethnicities/race.  You need to become really well acquainted, enough to be about to empathize with one another and pick up on one another's non-verbal cues and help one another out of tight spots during the dialogues--people punch our buttons, you know, and we need our co-facilitators to be our allies.  Train yourselves deeply.  Co-facilitators need to express all the emotions they have over race and racism with one another at length before trying it in a group.  Read about issues of race and racism and discuss it and share your feelings at length.  Weep and cry, rage and vent, pout and make up.  Understand where you are both coming from and what you are uncomfortable with, so you can take the pressure off each other when needed in the dialogue.

STUDY YOUR GUIDELINES TILL THEY ARE SECOND NATURE: You need to avoid creating a shouting match instead of a dialogue.  But all of us bring our emotional selves to the dialogue, and we all have a lot of pent up emotions--rage, anger, sadness, depression, fear, terror.  We need to vent those emotions.  In order to heal, we need to get it all out, and we need others to listen, respectfully, fully, till we run out of emotion.  But, WE NEED TO DO IT ONE AT A TIME, SO THAT WE CAN BE HEARD.  We need to know we get to say our whole piece.  We need to be heard.  Then we can begin to heal from this mess, because we are all in this mess, you know.  Whatever boat our ancestors came over on, we are all in this boat together, and it is leaking, and we will survive together, or we will sink together, folks.  Let us begin to listen to one another without interrupting, without judging, without telling the other what they should think or feel or how they should behave.  We should not be forced to speak, but we should all be allowed to volunteer.  Hey, we are all good people!  We have a choice whether to be there!  If we choose, we can come together to have this dialogue; if we choose, we can stay home, and by doing nothing, we are saying we don't care if it gets worse. Silence = acceptance of the status quo. It could get worse.  Let us commit to making it better.  We will disagree.  We will make mistakes.  Mistakes are occasions for learning. I'm plagiarizing the guidelines of the Center for Healing Racism.  Take turns.  LISTEN TO EACH OTHER RESPECTFULLY.  Speak truth.  Don't get defensive; you are not responsible for the other person's pain (probably, but if you are, apologize).

Invite your local grocers to provide refreshments.

Invite your mayor, constable, justice of the peace to provide some security.

Allow your local copy shops to print your agenda and guidelines.

Encourage your local newspapers and media to provide PR and really promote the dialogues.

Have clear guidelines to ensure a respectful gathering wherein everyone LISTENS to one another, let's one another fully express their feelings, realizing YOU are not responsible for that person's pain, anger, fear, rage, sadness, disappointment, frustration.  I believe we all need to vent our emotions before we can get into productive deliberation and problem-solving.  And I think it may take hours if not days and weeks to vent all our emotions.  By then we will realize we are all so much more alike than different, that we will lose some of our fear and distrust.  Then we can get down to serious deliberation and problem-solving.  Facilitators should enforce the guidelines in the dialogue.

Have an agenda.  You could follow the topics in the Dialogue:Racism series--I'm attaching the flyer for the series beginning tomorrow.  You can read more at www.centerhealingracism.org

I believe the trick to successful public dialogues on racism is to begin with some rational assumptions and commitments to the guidelines, sort of keeping the eyes on the prize, since the interim could be unpleasant.

WE have all been racially conditioned.
It is not our fault that we are infected with the disease of racism.
It is our responsibility to seek treatment for the disease.
We are all good people.
We can and we should try to make the world a better place.
We have long been separated, so we don't know each other.
If we come into a safe space and be real, we can come to know each other truly.
We are all good people; I know I already said that.
Let's act as if we know we are all good people.
When people say: "If I were you, I would........", what they really mean is: "If you were me, you would.........."    Think about it!  We have had very different life experiences; we have different emotional reactions and world views; we are at different places and we have different views of the same things in front of us; PERCEPTION IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER.
Racism is not just what people do; racism includes what people experience from others.

SOME QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:
When did you first become aware of skin color? How did you learn or notice skin color?
Describe your experience of overt bigotry, unaware racism, internalized racism, cultural racism, environmental racism, institutionalized racism, systemic racism.  If you don't know any of these terms, google.com or goodsearch.com for them; when I first attended Dialogue:Racism in 1991, most of those terms and Healing Racism were not in the search engines.  Now there are tens and hundreds of thousands of hits!
WE can end racism in our lifetime!

Monitor progress and frequently report successes and failures.

May the force be with you!

Peace and love in the spirit of oneness,
Sandy

Saundra Y. Boyd, Ph.D.
Director of Service Learning
Psychology Professor