From: Sandy Heierbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 20:11:47 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [NCDD-DISCUSSION] ACE: Participants as activists for a culture of dialogue?

Please don't take a seat on the sidelines, Janice!  In fact, I would love it if you would share some of the things you're learning and observing from your online dialogues on race at USARiseUp.com on the list.  NCDD folks would be interested in hearing about the tech structure and process you're using, and how those things are helping encourage constructive online dialogue on the ever-challenging issue of race.

To respond to Janice's point, NCDD and many other organizations in our field have struggled with questions of diversity and inclusion for years.  NCDD tends to address this issue in cycles, with varied levels of success (okay - with little success so far).  I don't particularly think that a large, loosely-moderated listserv is a good place to discuss this issue.  If there is a more structured space for online discussion about how issues of diversity, inclusion, racism, etc. play out in our field specifically (whether at USARiseUp.com or anywhere else), I'm all for it, and I encourage people to announce such spaces on the list.

For those interested in this issue, please look over the summary of the "Inclusion Challenge" that is posted at http://ncdd.org/rc/item/4235 .  This was one of 5 key challenges facing our field that we encouraged participants at our 2008 national NCDD conference to explore, both before and during the conference.  Leanne Nurse of the Environmental Protection Agency was our challenge leader, and submitted this summary.

Best,
Sandy

Sandy Heierbacher
Director, National Coalition for Dialogue & Deliberation (NCDD)
email:  [log in to unmask]
phone:  717-243-5144
website:  www.ncdd.org

On Dec 7, 2010, at 7:02 PM, Janice Ellis wrote:

Judith,

Thank you for the clarification.  I must admit, all of the “treatises” J were a little difficult to follow as a newcomer to NCDD. That being said, if it is that difficult for us as members of NCDD—true believers in the deliberation and dialogue process—to get a meaningful dialogue going, what does it portend for those who may be less informed about the deliberative process? At a minimum, we hope that they will be willing to give it a try...

I will take a seat on the sidelines and learn more before jumping into the NCDD exchange. The work at USARiseUp is monumental within itself and quite enough to keep me very busy. J

Thank you, again.

Janice Ellis

"USARiseUp.Com--The Only Online Magazine About Us--All of Us"
Janice S. Ellis, Ph.D.
Publisher and Executive Editor
(816) 931-2200
USARiseUp.com - An online magazine dedicated to creating a better understanding across race and ethnicity.