Re: Curiosity

"\\0xDynamite" <[log in to unmask]>

\0xDynamite

Thu, 20 Apr 2017 16:33:26 -0500

To Eric:

Well, there you go.  Indifference is the emotion in-between love AND
fear AND hate AND confidence.  A ZERO amidst two axiis, you could say.
The problem I was speaking of on another thread.  America has so much
power, and consumes value at such a dangerous pace, that INDIFFERNECE
might be the most dangerous emotion of all.  Ask the Jews in WWII.

To Chris S-L:

To see symmetry in emotion comes from psychology itself.  Where
they've been trying to map it.  To be confident about it comes from
patterns in the universe, in the human body, and in the understanding
of how contrasting opposites often illuminate objects of study.  In
the Bible you have the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, where it
starts for many.  Those are types of emotional opposites.

To me it's quite obvious, coming from the Christian world (where I am
not a Christian but a benefactor of it).  It makes emotional maturity
and wisdom to understand emotions at all.  Most children don't
understand them, for example.

You could see it as an intellectual CURIOSITY, to see if there are
indeed ways to understand emotions better by relating them to an
opposite.

Perhaps indifference is the only emotion without a mature opposite.

Marxos

On 4/20/17, Eric Smiley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> [...]
>>> difficulties).
>>>
>>> For curiosity to flourish in dialogue, I find it helps to introduce a
>>> light structure to offset these defaults. I call this structure OBREAU –
>>> reflecting the first two letters each of observation, reasonableness and
>>> authenticity.
>>>
>>> With observation, people are encouraged to focus on data and evidence
>>> pertaining to the issue at hand. What stands out? What patterns are
>>> there?
>>> What tensions are there in the data?  And so forth. The aim is to get
>>> people describing what they see rather than explaining, analyzing and
>>> interpreting. Encouraging a focus on observation as far as possible
>>> prior
>>> to interpretation allows for the prospect of multiple interpretations
>>> for
>>> any one observation, and this possibility can help spark curiosity.
>>>
>>> With reasonableness, a challenge is to imagine the perspectives of the
>>> various stakeholders, including those not represented in the room,
>>> allowing
>>> they can be reasonable at this time. Again, when people are assisted to
>>> actively engage with other perspectives, there’s a good chance their
>>> curiosity will be whetted.
>>>
>>> With authenticity, people have an opportunity to reflect upon their own
>>> underlying assumptions, interests, feelings and knowledge – in the
>>> context
>>> of what has gone before in the dialogue - and to share briefly,
>>> including
>>> identifying powerful questions they believe warrant further exploration.
>>> Keeping this deeper, personal sharing until well into the dialogue
>>> process
>>> seems to help in drawing forth a sense of safety, sharing and joint
>>> inquiry.
>>>
>>> The OBREAU practices together form a mutually supportive structure – I
>>> call it the OBREAU Tripod. The Tripod helps promote safety and
>>> exploration
>>> in dialogue by assisting people to focus, in turn, on observable
>>> phenomena,
>>> on the perspectives of others and then – and only then – to tap into and
>>> share some of what deeply matters to them.
>>>
>>> The Tripod is available for anyone to use under Creative Commons
>>> licensing. If any NCDD member (or organization) would like to experiment
>>> with using the OBREAU Tripod to support dialogue, I’d be pleased to meet
>>> online and talk through with them how this might be done. (By the way, a
>>> workshop on applying the OBREAU Tripod to explore a contentious issue
>>> was
>>> awarded “Outstanding Educator Workshop” at the 2016 conference of the
>>> Association of Leadership Educators.)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>

>>> Don Dunoon
>>>

>>> Independent Leadership and OD Consultant
>>>
>>> Lewisham, New South Wales, Australia
>>>
>>> M  +61 (0) 417 249 343 <+61%20417%20249%20343>

---