NCDD-DISCUSSION  April 2015, Week 5

NCDD-DISCUSSION April 2015, Week 5

Re: Collaborative Backbone for Distributed Conversations

Tom Atlee <[log in to unmask]>

Tom Atlee <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Apr 2015 12:33:59 -0700

I suspect, Bruce, that your vision here is as much about a new profession as a new online electronic structure.

People used to say we needed better meetings, conferences and conversations - and they sorta happened and sorta didn't - until professions like facilitator and convener evolved.  Given so many change agents' busyness, lax logic, and tech aversions, I suspect that something this complexly logical and digital needs professionals whose job it is to build such structures in league with change agents in various movements and sectors, facilitating their participation in creating and using those knowledge structures in their promotion and coalition-building efforts.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a million dollars to train and pay 2000 such professionals in this new profession and to set up networks and promotional machinery to launch their engagement in dozens of movements and fields?!  That's the sort of thing I would consider strategic philanthropy.... the creation and launch of a totally new field of expertise that enhances synergies between every positive change effort...

Coheartedly,
Tom Atlee
http://co-intelligence.org
Eugene, OR

On Apr 30, 2015, at 9:47 AM, Bruce Schuman wrote:

> Following the experiences of the “D and D Trans” conversations mostly coordinated by Ben Roberts and Linda Ellinor, and under the influence of global pressures and the widely-recognized need for significant collaboration across demographic sectors and “silos”, a new technical concept is beginning to emerge for me.
>
> I’ve never seen anything like this before, but as this idea and technology continues to refine, it’s beginning to feel to me like a breakthrough – an emerging new capacity that is powerful, fluent, and simple to use – and might emerge as a new kind of connector between “separate” groups and discussions in ways that prove very sensitive to diversity and inclusion issues.
>
> Seen in a broad perspective, I describe this framework as a “collaborative backbone” – because it acts as a kind of neutral shared convener for what amounts to “any number” of shared or partially-shared or overlapping conversations that can take place anywhere, through any medium, at any level of scale.
>
> The core of this technology is a simple “outline processor” – a way to build and compile the details of any conversation or activist thesis or process of collective deliberation in the form of “bullet points” in a three-level cascade (like an outline).  From the point of view of any one group, an editor or admin can develop a detailed outline of their own project in terms of “topics”, “themes” within those topics, and “tags” within those themes as brief lowest-level items in the cascade.  Tags can be entered by any participant, in a form that can be interpreted as “voting” if desired.  If needed or helpful, any “tag” can become the top level of a new cascade, which means this process can undertake any level of detail.
>
> This idea alone is not so striking, though it has proven fluent, and made it very easy and natural for me to begin organizing a large array of complex interdependent ideas.  What is beginning to appear significant and innovative is the option to share elements of these outlines among different groups that are largely concerned with different issues, yet do share some common critical concerns and interests.
>
> Are you a local group concerned with – say – local water issues?  If you are local, to what degree are your concerns regional – or national or global?  Do you have any reason to work closely with groups outside your local region?
>
> In your own way, let's say through your own medium you are conducting an ongoing conversation within your group.  But “to some degree” – and in fine-grained detailed ways – yes you ARE interested in what other groups are doing, and yes, you DO want to act with some measure of coherent responsibility for the broader regional or global community, perhaps in-synch or in collaboration with these other groups.

> [...]

---

NCDD's discussion and announcement lists are generously donated by L-Soft ( www.lsoft.com ) and are powered by L-Soft's LISTSERV mailing list management software ( www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html ).  Learn more about all of NCDD's email lists at www.ncdd.org/rc/item/4434 -- and please read over the NCDD Discussion list's ground rules at www.ncdd.org/rc/item/2624 before you post.