NCDD-DISCUSSION  November 2010, Week 4

NCDD-DISCUSSION November 2010, Week 4

Re: ACE: Participants as activists for a culture of dialogue?

Charlotte Henley <[log in to unmask]>

Charlotte Henley <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 28 Nov 2010 13:02:35 -0600

I may be naive.... since I am not familiar with some of the processes you
all mention, but I do believe the work to raise my consciousness is the
first step and this is means I do not succumb to ego... my way is better
than your way or that my opinion is more relevant than your opinion. This is
not easy... I like to think I have the answers.

I then have a simple belief... based on one of my favorite movies...
Remember the Titans... we have to get to know each other. Any process I use
begins with that intent... let's first get to know each other.... it is the
way of the Native American and aboriginal people and lessons I learned as a
community facilitator. First take time to get to know... I was watching a
documentary on post traumatic stress from war. A WWII veteran was describing
an incident of killing four German soldiers who were charging them. One was
still alive and gesturing to his chest pocket. The US solider respond by
looking in the chest pocket to find a picture of the man's family. The
response of the US solider was, he is just like me and he felt empathy for
the so called enemy who moments later died.

I believe we must take time to get to know... and if a process appears to be
"on the surface" but it is done with the best intentions it can still
provide fertile ground for a shift and a change...it can open up more space
to learn and share more. This is when real dialogue can begin.

Thank you all for contributing to this wonderful conversation.... that is
beginning to feel like the beginning of something powerful.
Appreciatively
Charlotte Denny Henley