NCDD-DISCUSSION  November 2010, Week 4

NCDD-DISCUSSION November 2010, Week 4

Re: ACE: Participants as activists for a culture of dialogue?

Kenoli Oleari <[log in to unmask]>

Kenoli Oleari <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 28 Nov 2010 09:10:52 -0800

Tom, Howard, others -- Let's do it.  It seems to be kind of what many of us are doing already, minus, perhaps, the umbrella of an ACE, though, I would like to explore with folks how this would be practically different than, say, NCDD.  I'd like to do this by way of giving it shape, not critiquing the idea.

A few content issues:

1.  I don't see polarization as an issue to focus on.  The processes we use have the capacity to include folks with polarized beliefs.  Who doesn't!  I think that a root cause of polarization and other ills in the world is the failure of people to hold a respect for the experience each of us brings to the table.  Trying to change the way others are is, to a  large degree, at the root of the problem and wanting to do away with polarization is something like trying to change the way others are.  One quality that our methodologies have is that they have the capacity to honor every voice and every person, just as they are,. polarized or not.  It is a kind of Buddhist thing, as well.  I think we sometimes fail to realize the huge value in this.

The challenge polarization brings for us is that it shuts some down to even talking with people they disagree with, participating.  Also, it has made cynics about the possibility of doing this to many.  Even once they become open to talking, or to good process, they want to undermine the process by trying to control it.  The way around this I have seen is starting with those that are willing to come together and using that, in a kind of real world implementation of network theory, to bring others in.  We need to start, even at the planning stages, with the widest diversity of viewpoint possible.

2.  I think we sometimes undermine ourselves by focusing on the process rather than on what people want.  Process only has meaning in that it helps us achieve what we hope to achieve.  People will come to the table if they see the possibility of some result that has meaning to them.  For this reason, I think the dialogs we convene have to be about things people care about, and, preferably something creative and positive.  A principle, I believe and have experienced, to effective dialogue is that it only happens when there is a focus on what people hope for and have a passion to bring into being.

Thus, a dialogue about good education for kids, a new community center, a beautiful park, a local business model that meets real needs and other positively oriented "real" things is going to be more appealing than a dialogue about breaking down barriers, reducing polarization, creating good citizenship.  Some may be attracted to these latter issues, but they only hold anyone's attention so long.  Concrete things have to start showing up or people lose interest.

As for me, I am much better at the process part than the other pieces Tom identified, like advocacy, outreach fundraising, etc.  I have been a miserable failure at building organizations, though very effective at bringing people together.  How do we find all these pieces and build a way to work together effectively.

To some degree, the organization I co-direct (http://iotc-hub.org) has an intention of being exactly what ACE describes.  It is focused concretely on bringing process to communities to help them achieve things they care about.  In the larger scheme, it's goal is quite similar to Tom's ACE, though we really haven't made much progress in the outreach and fundraising piece that is a part of our vision, though not well realized.  We support ourselves from fees and do the work we believe in, not just anything people will pay for.  We are having an effect.  What we are doing is being seen as a solution by  more and more people, especially government agencies faced with budget crises and the challenge of dealing with an increasingly hostile public.

How do we build out on our existing efforts, connect our efforts, build effective umbrella efforts?  What do we need to do this?  Where do we focus?  How do we do it?

Hope these thoughts add to the discussion.

--Kenoli