An Epic Moment for the Field

david campt <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:37:00 -0700

Will this be an Epic
Opportunity or an Epic Failure?
The August Town Hall meetings and the real and lobbyist ginned
up anger over health care are combining to create something of a national
conversation not just about health insurance, but also about public
deliberation itself. Across the country, the commentariat class and everyday
citizens are weighing on what kind of behavior we should expect to see at a town
hall meeting, which is still thought of as a key mechanism in American
democracy. If the Henry Louis Gates arrest provided what the President called a
teachable moment about racial dialogue, the August meetings are a longer, more
widely distributed, and much more accessible teachable moment for the field of
democracy and deliberation.
And, so far, we are massively blowing it.
It would be bad enough if we were just letting an epic opportunity
go by and merely not leveraging it. But it’s much worse than that. We are
watching the concept/brand of the Town Hall meeting being severely degraded right before our eyes, and
doing so at a time when the media is actually discussing meeting process. By
the time the health care bill is passed (or suffocated), it may have become
more difficult to have town hall meetings on any other topic, since interest
groups and media hype will have morphed them into the unproductive shouting
matches we are now seeing. Although this devolution is not complete, if we
don’t rally and engage rather soon, our failure to reverse the degradation of
the town meeting brand may very well mean that, as a nation, we will be further
away from good public process by Christmas than we were in June.
To be sure, our professional community can point to a few
small steps we have taken that are in the direction of protecting the admittedly
flawed town meeting brand. Cases in point: Carolyn Lukensmeyer from
AmericaSpeaks has made at least two media appearances I know of talking about
the AmericaSpeaks’ approach to deliberation (full disclosure: I frequently work
for AmericaSpeaks); Jim Fishkin has described his approach to deliberation in
the New York Times; Larry Susskind has put together a clear, concise suggestion
about how meetings might be structured differently. (You can get Larry’s ideas
at http://theconsensusbuildingapproach.blogspot.com/;
you can also see a version of something similar that I put together at http://thedwcgroup.com/b2evolution/blog1.php).
The one piece I have seen that comes closest to truly reframing the discussion
about deliberation in a general way was a Washington Post article you can get
to at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/14/AR2009081401216.html?hpid=topnews.
There are undoubtedly cases I don’t about where some
facilitators who have insinuated themselves into the public discussion or
better yet, into actual meetings where a significant crowd was present. Nevertheless,
unless people are so busy doing things that they are not sharing them on this
list serve, I can only describe the response by us - as a community of eleven
hundred dialogue and deliberation practitioners on this list serve alone – as
woefully inadequate. Even just looking at ourselves as an interest group, this
is the biggest opening in years to to put the democracy, deliberation and
dialogue field(s) on the map, and at this point, we are just not doing it.
Below, I will try to briefly review the kind of things that
we might be doing if we were collaborative, systematically, and strategically leveraging
this moment. Let me state before going any further that is not in any way any
close to criticism of Sandy, NCDD, or anyone in particular. NCDD does a lot
with very little. My criticism is of our community as a whole, and everyone in
it, including me.
If we had our collective act together, here are some things
we might be doing to truly impact the national conversation on public
conversation.
Focusing Resources on
Raising the Media Profile of National and Local Experts
We should be seeing the luminaries/thought leaders in our
field (Fishkin, Lukensmeyer, Susskind are three easy examples) on national
media at least shows like Talk of the Nation or Democracy Now (if not even more
mainstream outlets like Nightline or CNN) positioned as prominent experts in
dispensing general purpose ideas about public processes..  As I know from having had a professional publicist
before the recession, positioning a person as a local or national expert –
assuming of course that they are basically qualified – is not rocket science,
but does require time of professional public relations and publicity people.
Alternative, it can also be done through what is sometimes called guerrilla publicity
by folks without these backgrounds. Why has the philanthropic community
concerned about public engagement not stepped forward to fund efforts to get deliberation
luminaries in national media? If that is too outlandish, why have we not come
together to do guerilla publicity on the cheap so that these folks with long
resumes on deliberation are a part of national discussion? Even more easily, why
are we not working collaboratively in our local areas to make available the
resources we need to position one or a few people as regional experts whose
perspective on public deliberation processes needs to be heard and potentially
heeded?
Letters to the Editor
and Radio Commentaries
Let’s not make the media thing unnecessarily difficult. Quickly
generating resources for experienced publicists or pulling together on guerilla
marketing that positions someone as a local expert requires some combination of
effective persuasion, some folks putting their egos in check, learning some new
skills, and committing to some pro bono work that may not generate results. That’s
a lot. But any of us could write an op-ed piece to our local mainstream or
altenative newspaper editor or tape a 3 minute piece for our local NPR station.
I know I have not provided attempted to place a piece in any local media
outlets. Have you? Why are we not doing this?
Offering our
collective services to Congressional Representatives
While I am not naïve enough to believe that most Congressmen
would have the courage to organize their meetings differently, I have little
doubt that a few of them would be open to alterations in the meeting processes
that were structured to diminish rudeness (such as Susskind and I suggest
above); a few might even be open to trying to create truly dialogic meetings.
To what extent have we banded together in our local area, used our professional
networks to create a meeting with a staff person or a Representative  themselves, and offered our collective
pro-bono services and a new vision of these meetings? Given how often (sadly)
we offer our individual serves for virtually nothing, why are we not making
such offers strategically, and as a local network? Given the media saturation
around these events and the small club that representatives are, one success
could spread virally. We could even spread it virally ourselves.
And if we can’t find a way to cooperate with our fellow
facilitators, how about creating a simple town hall guidelines that would
likely less conflictual meetings. Or even easier, how about contacting your
representative’s staff and drawing their attention to an existing set of
helpful guidelines created by a unquestioned luminary in the field, such as Susskind’s?
Creating Alternative
Town Halls and Inviting Media and Representatives to Them
If we truly had our act together as an accomplished yet unrecognized
community of on the ground democracy practitioners, we would find productive
synergies between our skills in designing fair processes and civic minded
organizations who have credibility across political party lines. If we were
cooperating, we could use our networks of rolodexes, Facebook friends,
Linked-In and twitter accounts (etc., etc.) and other networks to connect with League
of Women Voters, Rotary Club, YMCA or fill-in-your-non-partisan-local
organization here. These folks are also watching the town meeting concept get
degraded; some of them probably care about this, but I would not expect them to
have the skills to create something different. How many of us have even tried
to explore these connections? If you have tried and failed (or succeeded), it would
be great if you share this experience with the list so we can learn, since such
the lessons from such attempts at collaboration will be critical to mine
whenever NCDD goes from a community of practitioners to a real force that truly
affects public discussion nationally. But my suspicion is that very few of us
have even tried.
If we were to be more effective in interrupting the
destruction of the town hall concept, we will probably need to know how to cogently
articulate two types of possibilities: 1) a set of guidelines that can produce
a significantly better conventional town hall process and, separately 2) the elements of a truly deliberative meeting, which would
clearly more ambitious and probably very unlikely in the current environment. My
ideas on why we have not collectively stepped up to the plate are something I
might address in some future post. But, at this point, I only offer the
plaintive reminder that there are still two weeks left in August, and we are
all watching a set of developments that is truly disturbing for the future of
American democracy. As professional facilitators, we highly value the idea of
creatively adapting to unexpected teachable moments, and in minimizing our egos
to create effective collaboration. I hope we can do better at applying those
values strategically to the current national moment, which is not only quite
rare, but may set the cause of democracy back if we don’t step forward.
Respectfully submitted,
Dr. David Campt