NCDD-DISCUSSION  December 2008, Week 1

NCDD-DISCUSSION December 2008, Week 1

Re: Please Endorse This Democracy Agenda

Fri, 5 Dec 2008 17:48:08 -0500

I am ambivalent about this proposed democratic agenda that most of us did
not have a hand in crafting.  It is not a matter of ego, turf, or ideology.
It is a matter of vitally important aspects of our work -- factors that can
impact the fate of our world and future generations -- that seem (to me, at
least) not to have been taken adequately into account.

This leaves folks like me caught between withholding my approval from
something that is much better than what we have, or approving something
that, while an improvement, contains potentially crippling inadequacies
that may well fill a surface need without fulfilling a deep need, thus
distracting from and delaying important changes our society needs.

I am specifically concerned that the conversational programs described here
do not specifically enable America to tap into AND EMPOWER the potential
wisdom of the interactive citizenry.

Let me explain.

I suggest the following are fairly widely shared assumptions:
*  Public participation and citizen engagement focus on involving lots of
people in citizenship activities.
*  Dialogue involves people talking about what matters and really hearing
each other.
*  Deliberative democracy focuses on weighing public policy options being
considered by official decision-makers.
*  Citizen empowerment focuses on citizens having a real impact on the
issues that affect their lives.

I offer one additional important assumption, not widely understood:
*  Collective intelligence focuses on the co-creation of smarter solutions
and directions than individuals could come up with individually.

These are, unfortunately, "independent variables".  That means we can
easily have lots of one without much of the others.  This is true of
virtually all of them.  For example:

1.  It is possible to have public participation and citizen engagement that
is not particularly deliberative, empowering, or collectively intelligent.
Public hearings and community trash pick-ups are examples.

2.  It is possible to have deliberative democracy...
*  ... that is not empowering -- e.g., the huge number of citizen
deliberative exercises that have no significant impact on public policy
*  ... that does not involve broad public participation -- e.g., Citizen
Juries
*  ... that does not involve much dialogue -- e.g., a table of 10 people
having 20 minutes to discuss a complex aspect of a public issue
*  ... that does not generate much collective intelligence -- e.g., any
deliberation in which only mainstream options are considered; information
and/or diversity is inadequate; and/or time is insufficient to delve into
the real issues.

I fear that an attachment to certain methodologies may interfere with our
ability to create integrated multi-process programs that synergistically do
ALL of the above -- that is, that engage lots of people in dialogue and
deliberation that produces collectively intelligent outcomes that have
demonstrable effect on public policy.

By "integrated multi-process programs" I do not mean programs that
incorporate many different processes in order to satisfy a variety of
process advocates and practitioners.  I mean programs that incorporate
diverse processes that serve specific desired functions in a synergistic
way.

For example:  21st Century Town Meetings are powerful spectacles of public
participation, but they fall short in the quality of their deliberative
collective intelligence due to inadequate time for in-depth inquiry.  They
could be well balanced by the more time- and information-intensive Citizen
Juries or Consensus Conferences that are much more able to create
collective intelligence but do so at the expense of broad citizen
engagement.  Ideally, Citizen Juries could be augmented with internet
explorations and/or Dynamic Facilitation to generate truly creative policy
recommendations that could then be compared to mainstream options by
broadly engaging processes like 21st Century Town Meetings, Study Circles,
and National Issues Forum deliberations -- all of which could be well
covered by mass media and bloggers.  And what if public officials were then
required by law to follow what came out of such public deliberations, or to
publically explain why they couldn't or wouldn't?  Or what if the
recommendations of such a powerful public deliberative process were
mandated to be put to a vote by the electorate, as was done after the
British Columbia Citizen Assembly on Electoral Reform?

Just for example.  And how would we put such a vision into a recommendation
for the Obama administration?  And what kind of irreversible democratic
legacy would Obama leave behind him if he took this on?  And how would we
build a movement to support him if he chose to do that?

This is the kind of exploration I would want to have BEFORE a broad
proposal backed by a deliberative democracy coalition were put forth.  And
this multi-process perspective and program midwifing is exactly what I'd
love NCDD to take on as its unique mission, embracing us all and making
more of what we could be together.

I think most of us realize that much more than our professional
opportunities is at stake here.

Coheartedly,
Tom

PS:  Janette Hartz-Karp's work in Australia is very instructive for ours
here in the US.  Her citizen-centered
initiative has tremendous potential to generate collective intelligence for
the nation:
http://tinyurl.com/5swwe8

And here's Janette's chart describing high quality citizen engagement,
which I think is quite revealing.
http://www.21stcenturydialogue.com/

Tom Atlee • The Co-Intelligence Institute • PO Box 493 • Eugene, OR 97440
http://www.co-intelligence.orghttp://www.democracyinnovations.org
Read THE TAO OF DEMOCRACY •  http://www.taoofdemocracy.com
Tom Atlee's blog http://www.evolvingcollectiveintelligence.org
Please support our work.  •  Your donations are fully tax-deductible.