NCDD-DISCUSSION  March 2008, Week 4

NCDD-DISCUSSION March 2008, Week 4

Re: let's get real about racism--discuss it and end it!

Rogier Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>

Rogier Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Mar 2008 12:08:23 -0500

Dear Saundra (Dr. Boyd)

Once more you've hit the nail on the head but in this community it
may be a nail that has already been struck more often than not. I
think there is a lot of effort within the NCDD community to confront
this issue both in the membership (with some exceptions) and strongly
within the leadership. I should also add that, because of my age and
history in America, like Rev. Wright, I still bear the scars and
personal pain of racism - both Black and white.

Your comments and suggestions are sound and useful if at times
redundant (you are preaching to the choir at NCDD) on the details of
dialogue. The massive difficulty is that racism lies imbedded in our
institutions (I've said this frequently to this audience) and in
those protected commercial enclaves of human activity, and those
organizations nurture the individual racism that has infected the
society. The workplace and the schools deserve our most enthusiastic
attention in this regard and because they provide us both material
and intellectual sustenance we tend to go along to get along,
accepting the imbalance of white privilege as either natural or
unavoidable. By the way, there is more than enough internalized
racial oppression among Black people (Bill Cosby, for example) to go
around.  Being or becoming the head of a large commercial enterprise
or federal agency takes compromises of incalculable energy and self-
deception. Yes Virginia there are Black people who perpetuate white
racism and embrace white privilege. Obviously Black is different from
black in my mind and I capitalize them to underscore the differences
less we make the mistake of see the black Clarence Thomas as Black in
his ideals and judgment.

Tackling the issue of institutional racism is difficult and the
schools are the most impervious institutions that promote white
privilege and cultural disparities often with the unwitting help of
fine and honorable teachers who enforce racist attitudes often
against their own better judgments, just to stay connected to
children (who I believe they love) or keep their jobs. Racism
flourishes in an environment where competition, enforced isolation
and alienation are culturally acceptable. After 10 decades of the
public school practices and policies that universally judge
competence on the basis of the right answer and getting ahead of your
fellow student or teacher as the sin qua non of excellence I'm
surprised that there are still so many of us who value inquiry as a
human capacity and can exhibit any level of empathy. But we still do
in often strange and convoluted ways.

And the academic community is even better at perpetuating this
practice. Blindly hierarchical and impacted with a peculiar white
establishment that often professes intellectual equanimity but
practices a kind  of epistemological intolerance. Bolstered by a
demeaning practice (research) of statistical uncertainty that reduces
human values to integers. We complain about the low achievement of
Black children and ignore the fact the institution of education
itself is only 70 percent successful over all populations - 30
percent of all students in the 9th grade across the nation never
graduate. Can we allow the undoing of middle school students as
statistically insignificant? The schools are not working, the primary
governmental institutions (the justice system, employment, health
care and our (?) financial institutions) are not working (for us) and
still we are enticed to engage in the fiction that this is a
democratic meritocracy.

Ok - What should we do about our institutions? Why do we allow them
to be the breeding pens for individual and personal racism, which we
all agree we want to end some day? Will those who depend on the
institutions and commercial enterprises, as they are, simply
assassinate my future President Barack Obama as the most expedient
way to maintain control? If they can assassinate JFK and MLK do you
think Obama is safe? And if he survives will we have the strength to
support his efforts and national transformation? And if he doesn’t
will be strong enough to dump him?

Go along to get along.

We should be allowed to talk to one another in our institutions, you
know, directly in dialogue of the kind that Socrates suggested to the
youth of 5th century Athens. We should not live isolated and
alienated lives that keep us powerless and without community, without
the extraordinary love of diversity that is the hallmark of the
entire universe. By the way, I see dialogue as a practice not a
technique in the mechanical and technological jargon of the day. Not
a pill or simple technique that provides a quick fix but a human
practice that deepens over time that is inherent to being human and
needs little indoctrination only support and affection to flower and
spread.

This is the conversation that I am suggesting. Start where you are
and proceed to your own divinity at your own pace. How else could
this happen? We are free but we need to question the fictions that
delude us into the notion that is somewhere else rather than within
us, individually and collectively.

Now that I've written this I can't help thinking about Amiri
Baraka's  "Twenty One Volume Preface to a Suicide Note."

Rogier Gregoire