Re: Infrastructure discussion

Kenoli Oleari <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 26 Aug 2007 08:52:21 -0700

Rosa --

I'd like, especially to join you in the perspective voice in the
following paragraph:

> I'd like to add a further point. It seems to me that there is a
> "blind spot"
> currently in the D&D field, which has to do with the way in which
> 'dialogue'
> and 'deliberation' are defined. It seems to me that what you
> described as
> "consensus" tends to fall into the 'deliberation' category, which
> is also
> the one associated with 'getting practical results'. In contrast,
> 'dialogue'
> tends to be reserved for situations where "generating greater inter-
> group
> understanding" is the goal, and it is generally not seen as being
> particularly useful for situations where a practical outcome is
> needed --
> except maybe in an "initial" phase.

I also feel this is missing.  My sense is that a lot of D&D tends to
bring new process to the world as it is.  The category of methods you
refer to, from my perspective, contain dynamics that actually and
intentionally shift the dynamics of the existing system, not
according to a given agenda, but as a result of the reflection and
action of the people in that system.  It gives the system a chance to
reflect on itself and become what it needs to become.  It involves
organic system level change rather than engineered change driven by
experts, consensus, formal action, representative government,
hierarchical power or deliberation.  Some of the things that
characterize these methods:

1.  A system-wide perspective** -- The system (e.g. community, city,
etc.) is the framework for change -- anyone affected, anyone who has
authority or resources to hold the process back or move it forward,
anyone who has experience, wisdom, knowledge skills needs to be
directly involved -- thus a homeless person is an expert in
homelessness, as an architect is an expert in design, and a mayor is
an expert in politics and they are all in the room working together
toward common ends.
**This includes an open system approach -- the process is aware of
the interaction between the immediate system (like the immediate
community) and the systems with which it interacts (like other
communities, the city, the state, etc.)

2.  All voices are equal -- The mayor or the investor have a
different perspective, not one that is more important than a low
income housing resident, senior, youth or homeless person.

3.  All voices are present --Thus equality and connection is
established, ownership is spread through the system and personal
relationships are established and expansed.  Everyone hears all
perspectives and builds a common vision from those perspectives.  All
voices are needed to understand the whole.

4. Direct not representative participation (I'm including here random
selection and stakeholder models, as these approaches use individuals
to get information and experience into the room rather than to speak
for others in the system) -- people speak for themselves, never for
anyone else.

5.  Tend to involve large groups (60-1000s) in at least some stages
of the process -- This is as much to invoke and influence the
dynamics of the system as to give more people a chance to speak
directly.  This takes advantage of network theory by including
sufficient participation from all nodes in the (open) system.

6.  A focus on discovering common ground by giving all voices a
chance to speak -- Thus, first all voices are heard, then all voices
work together to make meaning out of what they have heard.  A shared
understanding is discovered.  Action is built on this common ground.

7.  Connect the individual to the whole -- these methods work from a
perspective that makes visible the broader connection people have
with each other as well as the commonalities and diversities
characteristic of this larger shared universe.  People understand
that there is something larger that holds them together in spite of
apparent diversities or conflicts, something that can contain those
diversities and conflicts as common experience.

8.  Often focuses on, or starts by acting together to discover a
preferred future and higher level goals, rather than on unravelling
conflicts or the various means for reaching those goals

9.  Once common ground is discovered from higher level goals, the
process focuses on implementing those goals with everyone
participating by bringing what they have to offer to the table in the
form of a public commitment to action -- Thus all take responsibility
for the whole in ways appropriate to their role in the whole.  (from
each according to their means and to each according to their needs,
in the service of an articulated shared and owned common vision.)
This last phrase is an important addition to the well known first
part of this statement.  It is key, as without it, even sharing
becomes an engineered phenomenon.

--Kenoli

Kenoli Oleari
1801 Fairview Street