Re: Infrastructure discussion

Ken Bausch <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:48:59 -0400

I agree with Roger.  If dialogue is properly structured, there is no reason
why it cannot include clarification, importance ratings, and influence
determination that result in real consensus.  This consensus is not the
result of pre-rigging, emotional argument, expert opinion, authoritarian
decree, or groupthink.

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: NCDD Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Bernier, Roger (CDC/CCID/NCIRD)
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NCDD-LIST] Infrastructure discussion

I have two thoughts about your scenarios.

First, I think the decision making process in the scenario you describe
should have started before the government made a decision to build the
bridge not afterwards. Sound public engagement should be more about what
to do or what direction to take than how to do something already
decided.

Second, I believe consensus and dialogue are not opposites as you have
presented them. I think both more influential and less influential and
both articulate and less articulate persons should participate, and I
see no reason why they cannot participate in one process. Also, the
product of their collective efforts could be reached or agreed to in
multiple ways, either by a majority or by consensus agreement. That is a
separate issue from who participates and how.

Perhaps you would consider relabeling your scenarios to say that there
are representative dialogues and non-representative ones. And I would
add, there are some early dialogues and some too late dialogues.

Roger H. Bernier,
Atlanta, GA 30333
404-639-8875 tel
404-639-8626 fax