NCDD-DISCUSSION  July 2007, Week 1

NCDD-DISCUSSION July 2007, Week 1

Re: How do we hold our enemies with compassion?

Howard Ward <[log in to unmask]>

Howard Ward <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Jul 2007 14:38:37 -0700

Joe - Great question: What do we do if the OTHER is not playing fair?

One reason I think this is a great question is that it may lead to another great question. Namely this one: Is there really such a thing as 'One Right Answer'?

Can anyone really answer a question like this for another person when each life situation is unique to some degree and when we don't really know what the other persons life situation is or what each person's understanding is that's involved?

I feel like I'm getting into another area of potential mis-understanding. So, for the record, I'm NOT suggesting that all responses are equally wise. I'm just suggesting that one can't answer this question of 'What's the best response' definitively for another person. And, I suggest that there is no one right answer that would fit for all situations and persons involved, even though that seems to be the likely assumption behind such questions.

I do think we can actually make a few 'general statements' about what to do when someone else isn't playing fair, but even if someone provided a broad description of some specific situation, we would still be working with a limited picture of the whole reality.

With that said, here's my 'general' suggestions:

#1 - I think we need to 'be the living example' of the type of world we would like to live in. If someone else isn't playing fair, and I feel the world would be a much nicer place if we played fair with one another, then I need to continue being a living example of 'what's possible', even if some people seem like they will never get the message or understand the benefits of such a behavior. My observation of American's, (since this is who I'm generally in direct relationship with), is that we often conclude change isn't happening unless we see 'immediate' results. But that just doesn't seem to be how change tends to occur.

And of course, if we are professing one type of behavior and doing something else, we all know what kind of message that type of behavior sends.

#2 - Observe the relationship as clearly as possible. Observe what seems to be working and what doesn't seem to be working.

As many people here seem to already be well aware of, one of the most important things to observe is our own behavior. Are we really listening to them, or just trying to make our point? Does the other person sense we are interested in them and what they have to say, or do they see us as just trying to win an argument?

This just reminded me of the question of: What exactly is 'at stake' in the average human conversation where we are trying to convey some point to one another? Is the world going to come to an end if the other person doesn't clearly understand my view? What is actually at stake if one choses to end a conversation?

I wonder about this because I often wonder why it seems so difficult for humans to simply explore life issues together? What seems to be a major factor in this difficulty seems to trace back to the high 'value' that is given to the beliefs and opinions. For example, if we think our belief or opinion is 'vital' (very high value) to the survival of the human race or the eco-system, and we're certain that this is 'the truth', we then would naturally think that other people "must get it" or else something terrible will happen.

When I look around me at all the things humans are doing, which ranges from compassionate to horrific, what I see that's largely missing with regard to the horrific portion of htis picture is what David Bohm pointed to in this quote:

"What is needed is a society in which assumptions are not defended against evidence of falseness."

What appears to be at the root of this tendency to defend assumptions seems to again trace back to the value that's given to these abstract beliefs & opinions. When a belief or opinion is given the undeserved value of 'the truth', then it's naturally going to be defended. But given our human 'sense limitations' and the fact that whatever we know is just a very limited abstract snapshot of a reality which is far more complex than we can possibly grasp in thought, it makes all our views 'limited assumptions', not - 'the truth'.

Another thing that seems to play a large part in my own decision making when I'm faced with the decision of contining to converse with another person when the other person doesn't seem to be playing fair or not listening (or just as a general rule for engaging in dialogue) is the issue David Bohm addressed in this quote:

"Suppose we were able to share meanings freely without a compulsive urge to impose our view or conform to those of others without distortion and self-deception. Would that not constitute a real revolution in culture?"

I think that this would be a truly wonderful 'revolution in culture', so I try to do what I can in my behavior and conversations to encourage the possibility that we might move in such a direction.

It seems that I've ended up rambling on to an excessive degree, so I better stop here before I go off on another tangent.

Regards - Howard