Re: summary of Gore's new book

"saundra.boyd" <[log in to unmask]>

saundra.boyd

Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:17:38 -0500

What if we take each of Sandy's points on Gores new book and write letters to editors all over the country and cc these letters to all our legislators?  The government and the news media would have a rain of opinions with similar (I'm pretty certain) messages.
Yvonne

Saundra Y. Boyd, Ph.D.
Psychology Professor
3214 Austin, EDC A231
Houston, TX 77004
713-718-6244
FAX 713-718-6244

-----Original Message-----
From: NCDD Discussion List on behalf of Sandy Heierbacher
Sent: Sun 6/24/2007 10:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [NCDD-LIST] summary of Gore's new book

I bought Al Gore's "The Assault on Reason" a couple of weeks ago, but I
haven't really had the chance to read it yet.  In light of Stephen Buckley's
attempt to start a discussion on this list last week about how the D&D
community may want to respond to the book (which I think this community
NEEDS to have), I thought I'd scan the final chapters to see what Gore is
proposing.

First, just to provide a bit of context, the first seven chapters of the
book (with titles like "The Politics of Fear," "The Politics of Wealth,"
"National Insecurity," and "The Carbon Crisis") support the premise that
"The persistent and sustained reliance on falsehoods as the basis of policy,
even in the face of massive and well-understood evidence to the contrary,
seems to many Americans to have reached levels that were previously
unimaginable. (p. 1)"  ."Why has America's public discourse become less
focused and clear, less reasoned? Faith in the power of reason-the belief
that free citizens can govern themselves wisely and fairly by resorting to
logical debate on the basis of the best evidence available, instead of raw
power-was and remains the central premise of American democracy. This
premise is now under attack. (p. 2)"

I flipped through the book and examined the index, and there doesn't seem to
be any mention of deliberative democracy or facilitated dialogue - but much
in the final chapter sounds strikingly familiar.  I decided to include
quotes and page numbers from the last chapter in case any of you would like
to reference some of this in papers, grant proposals, or on your websites (I
know I plan to use some of this!).

At the end of chapter 8, Gore writes (p. 244):

"When reason and logic are removed from the process of democracy-when there
is no longer any purpose in debating or discussing the choices we have to
make-then all the questions before us are reduced to a simple equation: Who
can exercise the most raw power? The system of checks and balances that has
protected the integrity of our America system for more than two centuries
has been dangerously eroded in recent decades, and especially in the last
six years.

"In order to reestablish the needed balance, and to check the dangerous
expansion of an all-powerful executive branch, we must first of all work to
restore the checks and balances that our Founders knew were essential to
ensure that reason could play its proper role in American democracy. And we
must then concentrate on reempowering the people of the United States with
the ability and the inclination to fully and vigorously participate in the
national conversation of democracy. I am convinced this can be done and that
the America people can once again become a 'well-informed citizenry.' In the
following chapter I outline how.

Some quotes from chapter 9, "A Well-Connected Citizenry"

p. 245

"What passes for a national 'conversation' today is usually a television
monologue consisting of highly sophisticated propagandistic messages."

He then talks about how TV is one-way, passive communication and that
"attachment theory" holds that responsive two-way communication is essential
for an individual's feeling empowered, and that authentic free-flowing
communication is important for any relationship that requires trust (such as
the relationship between citizens and public officials).

p. 248

"I believe that the viability of democracy depends upon the openness,
reliability, appropriateness, responsiveness, and two-way nature of the
communication environment. After all, democracy depends upon the regular
sending and receiving of signals-not only between the people and those who
aspire to be their elected representatives but also among the people
themselves. It is the connection of each individual to the national
conversation that is the key. I believe that the citizens of any democracy
learn, over time, to adopt a basic posture toward the possibilities of
self-government.

"If democracy seems to work, and if people receive a consistent, reliable,
and meaningful response from others when they communicate their opinions and
feelings about shared experiences, they begin to assume that self-expression
in democracy matters. When they can communicate with others regularly, in
ways that produce meaningful changes, they learn that democracy matters.

p. 248-249

"If they receive responses that seem to be substantive but actually are not,
citizens begin to feel as if they were being manipulated. If the messages
they receive from the media feed this growing cynicism, the decline of
democracy can be accelerated.

p. 249

"Moreover, if citizens of a country express their opinions and feelings over
an extended period of time without evoking a meaningful response, then they
naturally begin to feel angry. If the flow of communication provides little
opportunity for citizens to express themselves meaningfully, they naturally
begin to feel frustration and powerlessness.  This has happened all too
often to minority communities who suffer prejudice and are not given a fair
hearing by the majority for complaints."

p. 250

He goes on to talk about how his generation still believes that democracy
works, and that communication and participation are the keys to making it
work well - but that many young Americans aren't sure whether democracy
actually works or not.  Referring to television as the primary medium for
democratic discourse, he writes "If the information and opinions made
available in the marketplace of ideas come only from those with enough money
to pay a steep price of admission, then all of those citizens whose opinions
cannot be expressed in a meaningful way are in danger of learning that they
are powerless as citizens and have no influence over the course of events in
our democracy-and that their only appropriate posture is detachment,
frustration, or anger."

pp. 250-251 (Here's where the former VP is channeling our friends Tom Atlee
and Jim Rough, among others):

"Our political system today does not engage the best minds in our country to
help us get the answers and deploy the resources we need to move into the
future. Bringing these people in-with their networks of influence, their
knowledge, and their resources-is the key to creating the capacity for
shared intelligence that we need to solve the problems we face, before it's
too late. Our goal must be to find a new way of unleashing our collective
intelligence in the same way that markets have unleashed our collective
productivity. 'We the people' must reclaim and revitalize the ability we
once had to play an integral role in saving our Constitution."

He talks about how the traditional progressive solution to problems that
involve a lack of participation by citizens in civic and democratic
processes is to redouble their emphasis on education. He acknowledges the
importance of education, but then says "Education alone, however, is
necessary but insufficient. A well-educated citizenry is more likely to be a
well-informed citizenry, but the two concepts are entirely different, one
from the other. It is possible to be extremely well educated and, at the
same time, ill informed or misinformed..

p. 251-252

".Abstract thought, when organized into clever, self-contained, logical
formulations, can sometimes have its own quasi-hypnotic effect and so
completely capture the human mind as to shut down the leavening influences
of everyday experience. Time and again, passionate believers in tightly
organized philosophies and ideologies have closed their minds to the cries
of human suffering that they inflict on others who have not yet pledged
their allegiance and surrendered their minds to the same ideology.

p. 252 (how's this for a D&D-supporting quote?!)

"The freedoms embodied in our First Amendment represented the hard-won
wisdom of the eighteenth century: that individuals must be able to fully
participate in challenging, questioning, and thereby breathing human values
constantly into the prevailing ideologies of their time and sharing with
others the wisdom of their own experience.

p. 253 (these paragraphs gave me the chills; they're also a great summary of
what Gore's book is all about, AND what dialogue & deliberation are all
about)

"In an age of propaganda, education itself can become suspect. When ideology
is so often woven into the 'facts' that are delivered in fully formed and
self-contained packages, people naturally begin to develop some cynicism
about what they are being told. When people are subjected to ubiquitous and
unrelenting mass advertising, reason and logic often begin to seem like they
are no more than handmaidens for the sophisticated sales force. And now that
these same techniques dominate the political messages sent by candidates to
voters, the integrity of our democracy has been placed under the same cloud
of suspicion.

Many advocacy organizations-progressive as well as conservative-often give
the impression aht they already have exclusive possession of the truth and
merely have to 'educate' others about what they already know. Resentment
toward this attitude is also one fo the many reason for the resurgence of
the traditional anti-intellectual strain in America.

When people don't have an opportunity to interact on equal terms and test
the validity of what they're being 'taught' in the light of their own
experience, and share with one another in a robust and dynamic dialogue that
enriches what the 'experts' are telling them with the wisdom of the groups
as a whole, they naturally begin to resist the assumption that the experts
know best.

p. 253-254

If well-educated citizens have no effective way to communicate their ideas
to others and no realistic prospect of catalyzing the formation of a
critical mass of opinion supporting their ideas, then their education is for
naught where the vitality of our democracy is concerned.

p. 254

The remedy for what ails our democracy is not simply better education (as
important as that is) or civic education (as important as that can be), but
the reestablishment of a genuine democratic discourse in which individuals
can participate in a meaningful way-a conversation of democracy in which
meritorious ideas and opinions from individuals do, in fact, evoke a
meaningful response.

And in today's world, that means recognizing that it's impossible to have a
well-informed citizenry without having a well-connected citizenry. While
education remains important, it is now connection that is the key. A
well-connected citizenry is made up of men and women who discuss and debate
ideas and issues among themselves and who constantly test the validity of
the information and impressions they receive from one another-as well as the
ones they receive from their government. No citizenry can be well informed
without a constant flow of honest information about contemporary events and
without a full opportunity to participate in a discussion of the choices
that the society must make."

He goes on to talk about how citizens who don't have meaningful
opportunities to participate in the national conversation develop a lack of
interest in the process, and outlines how people's knowledge of basic
democratic processes and principles is one of the outcomes of this lack of
interest.

Beginning on p. 256, he talks about various steps that can and should be
taken to foster more connectivity in our self-government, including:

-      Reconnecting citizens to the substance of the deliberative process in
congress (by airing the most important debates during prime time on
television, for instance)

-      Limiting the influence of large financial contributions to candidates
for elected office

-      Full and robust public financing of all federal elections

-      Increasing the transparency of all contributions to make it clear
where the funding is coming from

p. 259

"Ultimately, however, no reform measures will save American democracy until
and unless we find a way to restore the central role of a well-informed
citizenry. The revolutionary departure on which the idea of America was
based was the audacious belief that, as Thomas Jefferson said, 'An informed
citizenry is the only true repository of the public will.'

Our Founders knew that the people who are armed with knowledge and the
ability to communicate it can govern themselves and responsibly exercise the
ultimate authority in self-government.  They know that democracy requires
the open flow of information both to and, more important, from the
citizenry..

p. 259-260 (this is where he gets into how the Internet is the answer)

"Fortunately, we now have the means available to us by which the people of
America can reestablish a robust connection to a vibrant and open exchange
of ideas with one another about all of the issues most relevant to the
course of our democracy. The Internet has the potential to revitalize the
role played by the people in our constitutional framework.

.The Internet is presenting us with new possibilities to reestablish a
healthy functioning self-government, even before it rivals television for an
audience.

In fact, the Internet is perhaps the greatest source of hope for
reestablishing an open communications environment in which the conversation
of democracy can flourish. It has extremely low entry barriers for
individuals. The ideas that individuals contribute are dealt with, in the
main, according to the rules of a meritocracy of ideas. It is the most
interactive medium in history and the one with the greatest potential for
connecting individuals to one another and to a universe of knowledge."

He says many great things about the net, and calls it platform for reason
because it is a place for the decentralized creation and distribution of
ideas. He does acknowledge the Internet's various problems and abuses, but
says that "as always, it is up to us-particularly those of us who live in a
democracy-to make intelligent choices about how and for what we use this
incredibly powerful tool."

He talks about how the Internet must be developed and protected through the
establishment of fair rules of engagement and the exercise of the rule of
law (as was done to protect the freedom and independence of the press). Gore
asserts that we must shape the evolution of the internet in ways that are
conducive to the reemergence of a fully functional democracy (by ensuring it
remains open and accessible, for one thing).  On p. 262, he writes "in
contrast to radio and television broadcasting, there is no inherent
limitation on the number of entryways to the public forum as it exists on
the Internet."

He talks about the Internet being an ideal medium for people with common
perspectives and concerns to find one another and form communities around
their shared interests, and talks about how the internet has already been
changing politics. He uses blogging as an example of how people are using
the internet for public discourse without the public ever needing to gather
in a single public place - and influencing national politics as a result. He
also uses wikis (especially Wikipedia) and Web 2.0 social networks (like
MySpace and Facebook) as examples of Internet advances that have enormous
democratic potential.

He admits that television will remain people's primary medium of
communication for the rest of this decade, and mentions his phenomenal cable
TV channel, Current TV, to which anyone can submit "viewer-created content"
for consideration, and which empowers viewers to participate in programming
decisions.

Gore goes into depth about net neutrality and the danger of network
operators creating a "tiered Internet" with first-class and second-class
citizens on the Web in order to make more money. He ends the chapter with:

".the key requirement for redeeming the integrity of representative
democracy in the age of electronic media is to ensure that citizens are well
and fully connected to an open and robust public forum-one that is easily
accessible to individuals and that operates according to a meritocracy of
ideas.."

In his 3-page conclusion, Gore writes (p. 272):

"Today, reason is under assault by forces using more sophisticated
techniques: propaganda, psychology, electronic mass media. Yet democracy's
advocates are beginning to use their own sophisticated techniques: the
Internet, online organizing, blogs, and wikis. I feel more confident than
ever before that democracy will prevail and that the American people are
rising to the challenge of reinvigorating self-government."

--

I'd love to know what some of you think we should do to capitalize on this
opportunity.  A former Vice President of the United States and current

I think we should write letters to the editor to all our local papers - and
the big papers as well - to make people aware of what Gore DIDN'T mention:
the potential of quality dialogue and deliberation (whether face to face or
online) to "reestablish an open communications environment in which the
conversation of democracy can flourish."

What do you think we ought to do?

Best,
Sandy

Sandy Heierbacher
Director, National Coalition for Dialogue and Deliberation (NCDD)

Web: www.thataway.org
Email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 717-243-5144
Address: 114 W. Springville Road, Boiling Springs, PA 17007

Mark your calendar: NCDD's 4th National Conference on Dialogue &
Deliberation is set for Austin, Texas, October 3-5, 2008. Watch our 5-minute
video at  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvIP6Ms-Viw>
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvIP6Ms-Viw to see why you should join us in Austin!